This island is backed by a strong history. The history of this island cannot be explained without the mention of Kollam, also known as Deshinganadu in the earlier times. Deshinganadu was under the rule of Venad Kingdom. The Capital of Venad Kingdom used to be the Kallada region which is surrounded by the Kallada river, and this is the region where Munroe Island is also situated. Generally, this area was very fertile and people of this region were mainly into agriculture. A major part of the agricultural produce from the Kallada region was supplied to the Venad Kingdom.
So how was Munroe Island formed? or how did Munroe Island come into existence? Well, Munroe Island is incomplete without talking about General John Munro. Col.Munro was appointed as the resident of East India Company and he also served as Diwan (Prime Minister) to Rani Gouri Lakshmi Bai and Rani Gouri Parvati Bai of Travancore and Raja Kerala Varma of Cochin from 1812 to 1814.
The Kallada region was frequently prone to floods. As a solution to this problem, under the guidance of Col.John Munro, a canal was dug across the region called Mudhiraparambu in East Kallada. Which eventually got separated from the mainland forming the island. To commemorate this, the island was named "Munroe Island". The canal resulted in the formation of a new river called Putthenaar(New River). This eventually helped in reducing the intensity of floods by diverting the water to all sides of the island which finally joins Ashtamudi lake.
This Island was entrusted to Col.John Munroe by Maharani Rani Gouri Lakshmi Bai of Travancore, with a section to collect the agricultural tax and use it for the benefit of academic institutions. The revenue collected from the here was used as the capital for the establishment of the famous CMS college Kottayam. The administrative building used by Col.Munro is still present in Munroe Island and this was recently renovated. There is an interesting fact about this bungalow. An old ceramic toilet is present in this bungalow, which is said to be the first ceramic toilet shipped from Europe to Kerala.